- Project TitlePercentages - A real-life approach
- Employer SiteBrockton Neighborhood Health
- Submitted By (Teacher Name)Katie Balboni
- SchoolBrockton High School
- Brief Description and RationaleIn this lesson plan, students will be working with percentages to gain a deeper understanding. This can be used in many different grade levels, depending on the level of ability
- Grade LevelGrades 9-12
- Materials / ResourcesSimple percentage worksheet
Store Ads - either digital or printed out
Word problem worksheet
- Duration of lessonThis Unit for a College Prep class should take approximately one week or five 56 minute class periods.
- Key Vocabulary/Word WallPercent, percentage, markup, discount, tenths, hundredths, percent increase, percent decrease, ratio, proportion
- Pre-Requisite KnowledgeStudents should be familiar with place values and being able to change from decimal form to percent form. Students should be able to set up and solve a proportion.
- Any modifications or extensions for particular student populations?Students will create a foldable on day 1, a modification will be to allow the students to use the foldable throughout the week and on weekly quiz.
Students will have a word bank to be able to use while they are navigating the word problems
- Instructional ObjectivesStudents will be able to calculate percentages of numbers
Students will be able to determine a percent markup
Students will be able to determine a percent discount
Students will be able to compare different percentages and generate a reasonable response to a given prompt regarding percentages
- Anticipatory set or lesson opening (to activate students` prior learning or draw student interest or involvement)Simple Kahoot start up, to gain some information about their prior knowledge and to act as a pretest for the lesson. This will help to generate discussion and then student will end the week with another Kahoot to see how much they have learned over the week.
Web Link: Kahoot!
- Direct Instruction- Students will work on creating a foldable together with the instructor.
- Students will work on practice examples so that they are able to utilize the foldable and learn how it can be an aid
- Guided PracticeStudents will work on OpenMath assignment - OpenMath is a free online source where teachers can create courses and add problems to have students be able to work with instant feedback. Www.myopenmath.com
- Independent Practice/Differentiated Activities-Percentage Word Problems
-Percent Ratio Worksheet
-Percent Change Worksheet
Students will be able to work on these independent activities as the instructor moves around the room and stamps papers for correctness and gives feedback
View/Download File: /project709_7958/Word Problems.pdf
View/Download File: Percent Ratio
View/Download File: Percent Change
- Lesson ClosureKahoot Revise - bring back the same Kahoot to see if the students are answering faster or selecting more correct answers
- Summative/end of lesson assessmentPercentages Quiz
View/Download File: Percentage Quiz
View/Download File: Percentage Quiz Answers
- References/Resources/Teacher PreparationThere are some websites that a teacher can use to help students get more work with percents. One is the free online OpenMath website which can allow teachers to create an account and sign up. This is a great resource because direction can be tailored to each student and they can get instant feedback from the website
Web Link: MyOpenMath
Recommended Strategies / Instructional Techniques
- Reading StrategiesStudents will work on word problems and make sure to point out the important information. This will be a way for the students to use their skills to effectively solve a word problem.
- Multimedia/Visual Strategy (f.e. slides)Using Kahoot is a way to use 21st century skills as well as OpenMath
- Graphic organizers or handouts-Percents foldable
- Writing StrategiesStudents will be working on determining which coupon is best when it comes to percent discount. They will use the following activity to determine what is better and then write a brief explanation.
View/Download File: Percentage Writing Activity
- Speaking and Listening StrategiesAfter doing the percentage writing activity, students will be asked to come to the front of the room and discuss their decision on a select question. Each group will be given a different problem and we will have two groups present each number to generate good discussion.
- Family: Any opportunities to involve parent/guardians and other family members in this project?Percentages can create great conversations with students and family. One thing that you can do to help bridge the gap between home and school is a percentage interview. This will allow us to bring back the information and have a conversation as a collective group.
Potential Questions: 1. What does percentage mean to you
2. How have percentages affected your life? In terms of loans/credit cards
3. What do you believe the single most important thing regarding percentages in your opinion.
6.RP.A.3Use ratio and rate reasoning to solve real-world and mathematical problems, e.g., by reasoning about tables of equivalent ratios, tape diagrams, double number line diagrams, or equations.
6.RP.A.3.cFind a percent of a quantity as a rate per 100 (e.g., 30% of a quantity means 30/100 times the quantity); solve problems involving finding the whole, given a part and the percent.
7.RP.A.3Use proportional relationships to solve multi-step ratio, rate, and percent problems.
For example: simple interest, tax, price increases and discounts, gratuities and commissions, fees, percent increase and decrease, percent error.
Tags = percentage | percents | ratio | Subject = Mathematics | Grade Level = HS | Time Period = School Year | Program/Funding = | NONE |
Direct website link to this project: http://resources21.org/cl/contextual.asp?projectnumber=709.7958